Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ominous Signs in Asia

Hey peeps. Glad I grabbed your attention with this profound-seeming title.

I'm not talking about messages from beyond though. I'm talking about messages from local governments and businesses here in Asia - and sometimes, oh my are they strange.

When I return, I will compile and release, "Next Time Ask An American: The 10 Most Fucked Up Signs I Saw in Asia."

There have been some funny ones for sure. Here's a teaser.

Love,
Roni



ps - A word about this sign, and the service it advertises. At first I was like, "Dude that is fucked up. No way am I doing that. Weird!" But then I saw another sign, and another, and it turns out there are at least three places in downtown Siem Reap, Cambodia that offer fish massages. I came across a communal tub in a little square and lots of Westerners were actually doing it - and having a hoot! After 2 minutes of debate, I decided, "What the fuck. You only live once, and this will be the most action I've gotten in 2 months. Minus the guy who groped me at the beach in Vietnam (no shit)." So I did it, and it was actually...kind of fun. Little fish teem around and nibble on your feet, just like the sign says. Now unlike what the sign says, it certainly does not qualify as a massage. But it was enjoyable nonetheless, in that peculiar only-in-Asia way.

No comments: