Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wat the FUCK???

I knew the temples of Angkor would be stunning, and still it's a whole different deal to walk among them.

Oh my God. I barely scratched the surface today, visiting 5 of maybe 100 sites, and it was borderline surreal.

2 weeks ago I had a very powerful dream (dude, Krouzman, what do you eat mushrooms now before you go to bed or something?) that the jungle was taking over buildings, and that's what I saw today: the spectacular, massive, ornate, masterfully constructed remnants of a 1,000-year old civilization, all amidst thick jungle - and sometimes, left, purposely, to intertwine with the jungle.


Here are three pics of many. They hardly do such a mind-blowing place justice.

My videos will do it some justice though! Coming soon to a screen near you: "Angkors! The Khmers Strike Back!" And you know just what the sound track will be.

Much love,
Roni

ps - every evening, I get to return to the "Golden Banana," a gay-owned and operated (get the name now?!) tropical hotel/guesthouse that seems almost as lavishly unreal as the temples. At $20 a night, I generally need to ask a fellow guest to pinch me as I sip my lime ice tea at poolside, just to make sure it's really happening. The men have been more than happy to oblige!

pps - Just kidding. I am not gay.

ppps - Lots of Brits traveling around South East Asia, like the 2 girls in the internet lab right now. Sometimes their accent can be so endearing, and sometimes I just want to shake them and shout, "Spit out the beef jerky and speak like a normal person for God's sake!"

No comments: