Monday, April 13, 2009

A Prayer for Thailand

As I looked at the Thais gazing with concern at a burning bus blocking an intersection today, I had a deju vu feeling, and my heart was filled with pain. I wanted to cry.

I thought of Cambodia and Saigon and Lebanon and all the beautiful places on this planet that have been wrecked by civil war. Where it starts with a bombing here and a bombing there on a sultry summer day, and before you know it the cafes close and people start dying and soon it spirals terribly out of control.

Thailand please do not go down this path, I thought. Your neighbors have done it. You do not want to end up like them. You have it good.

You are such beautiful people. You have such a beautiful culture. Don't let yourselves be destroyed. Whatever your conflicts, solve them peacefully.

I hope, I pray, for the beautiful people of this beautiful land that the current skirmishes do not lead to all out civil war. That if it gets much worse, government and opposition leaders will act with caution, and ordinary Thais by the millions will stand up and say, "No. No way. We will not let you destroy us."

If you feel moved to, join me in this prayer.

Love Roni

1 comment:

Ellis Garvin said...

Yes, it's so sad to watch a beautiful culture and people fall prey to the same violence and misery which other's have succumbed to... Like, isn't there some people, somewhere who know how to live peacefully and happily???