Saturday, April 4, 2009

Walking a Dream

I had the incredible opportunity today to live out a dream.

I woke at 4:30am, and by 5 in the morning was zooming through the Cambodian countryside on the back of my driver Raba's motorbike. It was quite dark, the clouds lit up by lightning as thunder rumbeled in the distance and rain pelted our faces. Oooh!

I knew just where I wanted to go to experience dawn at Angkor: not Angkor Wat, where most people go, but to Ta Phrom, the temple I described after my first day, where nature and ancient ruins are intertwined in a stunning, erie, powerful display.

I arrive a bit later than I want to (forgot my entrance card and had to zip back to the hotel, only not to find it and have to buy a new one), and slip through the massive stone entry way and down the jungle path. The rain had stopped, but thunder continuined to rumble in the distance as flashes of lightning periodically lit up the sky.

Oooh. I am walking my dream. The dream I told you about a few days ago, one I had in Vietnam 3 weeks ago, where I am walking through my hometown, and all the buildings suddenly turn an erie color and are eventually overtaken by green - by plants!

So here I am. Alone, meandering purposefully through an ancient temple built almost 1,000 years ago, as first light is breaking, thunder clasps and lightning flashes. Wow.

I scramble up a pile of stones. I sit atop a massive archeway and peer out at the stunning ruins as they grow increasingly brighter in the growing morning light. It is a powerful experience.

Pictures can't do it justice, because pictures can't do that place justice, certainly not so early in the morning. And of course you can't photograph a dream.

Questions remain about the dream and about this day. In any case, I'm glad I went. What a way to end my foray into this stunning place!

Much love,
Roni

I'm about to board a plan to Bangkok. Ah, Thailand! It brings a smile to my face. As I see it, Cambodia was me rounding third base - and my last 2 weeks in Thailand will be a gentle, I hope, trot home! I'll be sure to keep keepin' ya posted. Wish me a sweet, relaxing, beautiful time on the beach.

No comments: